Welcome to Fresh Taps. Each week Shea collects the most promising lineup of new and returning beers hitting taprooms and tasting rooms all over the state.
Pumpkin beers are here! Now if only Mother Nature would follow suit with the cooler fall weather. Not your cup of tea? Don’t fret, there are plenty of other goodies out there this week such as two River North tap takeovers, the grand opening of Sanitas Brewing in Boulder, and much more.
Shea’s Spotlight Tappings
Each week I’ll pick 2 or 3 tappings that catch my eye, and taste buds. This week I highly recommend a visit to Colorado Plus in Wheat Ridge on Friday for the River North Mini Tap Takeover. I love everything River North makes, but CO+ will be serving their rare Hello, Darkness Black IPA aged in whiskey barrels during the takeover. Featured in my May “Rough Draughts”, this aged version is complex with “mellow whiskey notes on the front end, subdued bitterness in the middle, and that dry roasty malt character on the finish”.
Ready for some pumpkin beers? Stop in at Denver Beer Co and the Wynkoop to try their pumpkin ales. I tasted both last year and found them to have great balance between pumpkin and spices. Both are available at their respective brewery.
Here’s a sampling of Colorado’s freshest taps for the next week.
The Smuggled Taps (Recently Tapped Brews I Missed):
- Bootstrap Brewing (Niwot) – Wreak Havoc X-IPA – Red, rye, hoppy Xtra IPA
- Denver Beer Co (Denver) – Hey! Pumpkin’ Ale
- Loveland Aleworks (Loveland) – Buzzy’s Burundi Brown – Brewed with coffee from 3 Coffee & Roastery
- Odyssey Beerwerks (Arvada) – Hops, Paper, Scissors Red Ale
- Saint Patrick’s Brewing (Englewood) – Dry Hop Lager
- Wynkoop Brewing (Denver) – Pumpkin Ale
Wednesday, Sept. 4th, 2013:
- Arvada Beer Co (Arvada) – Cherry Porter – 2PM – Thursdays Brewers Limited Reserve
- Copper Kettle Brewing (Denver) – Mystery X Fresh Hop – 3PM to 9PM – Firkin Wednesday
- Front Range Brewing (Lafayette) – Tripel – 1 dry hopped with Citra, 1 dry hopped with Sauvin
- High Hops Brewery (Windsor) – Chocolate-Covered Cherry Stout – 5PM – Firkin Hump Day
- Odyssey Beerwerks (Arvada) – Roasted Pistachio Pale Ale – 5PM – Discovery Beer Wednesday
- Rackhouse Pub (Denver) – Verboten Brewing Carmel Porter, Lemongrass Wit, and Imperial IPA – 5PM to 12AM – I’d Tap That tapping
- River North Brewery (Denver) – BPR fermented with red wine yeast and Quandary Quadrupel done farmhouse-style – 3PM – Wayward Wednesday
Thursday, Sept. 5th, 2013:
- CHUBurger (Longmont) – Funkwerks Tap Takeover – 5PM – Provincial, Tropic King with Apricots, and Saison
- De Steeg Brewing (Denver) – Imperial Pumpkin
- Front Range Brewing (Lafayette) – Rumrunner Coffee Quad – With coffee and aged in rum barrels
- High Hops Brewery (Windsor) – Eric the Red
- Pateros Creek Brewing (Fort Collins) – Blakkr Stout – 5PM – Strong stout aged on wood
- River North Brewery (Denver) – Unified Theory
- Saint Patrick’s Brewing (Englewood) – Helledel Helles
- The West End Tavern (Boulder) – River North Tap Takeover – 6:30PM – Nine River North beers on tap
Friday, Sept. 6th, 2013:
- Avery Brewing (Boulder) – TBD – Friday Special Tapping
- Breckenridge Brewery Tassting Room (Denver) – TBD – 4PM – Firkin First Friday
- Colorado Plus (Wheat Ridge) – River North Mini Tap Takeover – 5 beers, including whiskey-aged Hello, Darkness Black IPA
- Dry Dock Brewing (Aurora) – TBD – 3PM – Firkin Friday
- Sanitas Brewing (Boulder) – Black IPA and Saison – 3PM to 10PM – Grand Opening
Saturday, Sept. 7th, 2013:
- Copper Kettle Brewing (Denver) – Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout – 12PM to 10PM
- Diebolt Brewing (Denver) – French Ale – 4PM
- Gravity Brewing (Louisville) – Special Barrel Aged and Small Batch Beer Tappings – 12PM to 10PM – 1st Anniversary Celebration
- Parry’s Pizza (Highlands Ranch) – New Belgium Lips of Faith Tap Takeover – 11AM to 11PM – La Folie 2013, Prickly Passion Saison, Cascara Quad, Biere de Mars, Peach Porch Lounger, Biere de Garde (Brewery Vivant Collaboration), Trip XVII, Pluot, Paardebloem, Heavenly Feijoa, Imperial Coffee Chocolate, Yuzu, Coconut Curry, Peach Porch Lounger, and Prickly Passion
- TRiNiTY Brewing (Colorado Springs) – Dry Hopped Flo IPA – 11AM – On cask, aged on Centennial and Columbus hops
Sunday, Sept. 8th, 2013 – Monday, Sept. 9th, 2013:
Nothing new to report, but keep your eyes peeled for tappings at places like Freshcraft (Denver), The Mayor of Old Town (Fort Collins), and other beer-centric bars and pubs across Colorado.
Tuesday, Sept. 10th, 2013:
- Renegade Brewing & Renegade Publik House (Denver) – Beetnik Beet Saison – 6PM
Did we miss something? Has your brewery released something new we should know about? Let me know what’s new and on deck to be tapped at firstname.lastname@example.org