On the surface, beer week doesn’t appear to offer much opportunity in the realm of cocktails. Beer is literally everywhere and in everything, all over the city from your cheese soup to someone’s soggy Lederhosen. Our stance on GABF, is that it’s actually the best time to enjoy a cocktail- in between all that beer you are going to consume. Instead of providing a list of venues where you can go for a great drink, what we have here is a compilation of some of our favorite non-beer beverages and where you can find them. It’s a slightly different approach, but at least you will know what to order in each spot when you have that much-needed beer break.
- Row 14 [14th St, between Champa & Stout] – Fernet Branca (on tap)
- Wazee Supper Club [15th & Wazee] – Barrel-aged Sazerac
- Osteria Marco [Larimer St, between 14th & 15th] – Negroni
- Colt and Gray [Platte St] – Old Fashioned
- Euclid Hall [14th St, between Market & Larimer] – Leopold’s Apple Whiskey “Luge Shots” (from the bones which previously contained bone marrow)
- Star Bar [Larimer St, between 21st & 22nd] – Navy-Strength Singapore Sling, or Barrel Stave-smoked Cocktail
- Pints Pub [13th Ave, between Cherokee & Bannock] – Very extensive collection of single-malt scotch (It’s hard to suggest which one you should order. Pick an expensive one.)
- Prohibition [Colfax & Pennsylvania] – Liquid Swords
- GHOST Tap & Plate [18th & Stout] – Assortment of easy drinking “breakfast cocktails”
- Lancer Lounge [E 7th Ave & Grant] – Anything in a rocks glass
Of course, these are just recommendations. Order what you like. I also left out wine, which is a completely different article. Any of these wonderful institutions will be able to accommodate your tastes and wishes when it comes to booze. Just remember to drink responsibly- save room for the beer.