With today being National Margarita Day, you really only have two choices:
1) Head to your local drinking hole and pay $8ish bucks a pop on a questionable margarita
2) Make a delicious margarita at home with ingredients you likely have on hand.
(Note: there is no option for not drinking a margarita today. Period.)
Option #2 becomes all the more tempting when you can make the same margarita at home in a healthier way while listening to the Mariachi Fiesta Mexicana Pandora station, for example.
Enter: the Skinny Girl Margarita, made wildly popular by Bethenny Frankel, a Real Housewife from somewhere (or so they tell me). Basically the concept of a “skinny” marg is one that doesn’t have sugar, simple syrup, agave nectar, or any of that sweetness added. However, Bethenny is now bottling hers and is selling it for probably the same price you would pay per drink ordering from a bar. All the more reason to make your own at home.
Here is my recipe for a Skinny Girl margarita:
- 2 oz. tequila (I used Partida Blanco from the liquor cabinet)
- 0.75 oz. Leopold’s American Orange Liqueur
- 1 oz. Fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 0.5 oz. Fresh-squeezed lemon juice
And because I am a sucker for Chambord, I also made this with 0.5 oz of Chambord, which I highly recommend.
Happy Margarita Day!